Congratulations! You’ve put in the work, finished your degree, and finally landed your first job. But that doesn’t mean the work is done. In order to succeed in the professional world and climb the corporate ladder, you need much more than the skills and knowledge to do the job. A significant part of professional success is the ability to communicate with clarity and confidence and project yourself as a leader. Take a look at our tips below for making an impression and taking your career to the next level:
1. “Filler” words and phrases like, “uh”, “um”, “like”, and “you know” can make you seem insecure and unprofessional. Try to keep your filler usage to no more than two fillers every two minutes. A filler word is defined as any word that does not add content to the message.
2. Crisp, clear speech is one of the most crucial aspects of professional communication. Mumbling or running your words together will make you seem lazy and inarticulate. Take care to pronounce all of the sounds of each word, particularly the consonants at the ends of words.
3. Remember: Your breath is the power behind your voice. For strong breath support and a dynamic speaking voice, breathe from your abdomen, not your chest.
4. Slow your speaking rate down to an easy, relaxed pace. Speaking too quickly makes your speech less clear and articulate. It also increases the likelihood of losing your listeners—your audience needs time to absorb your message, not just hear your words.
5. Slang can be a problem for young professionals new to the working world. Many phrases and words which seem natural may be completely inappropriate for the workplace and can make you seem inexperienced and unprofessional. Take stock of your vocabulary and see which slang words and phrases you use most often.
If you are looking for more ways to take your communication to the next level, make sure to pick up a free copy of my e-book “Communicate with Clarity and Confidence!” by subscribing to our newsletter community on our website. In this free resource, I break down the myriad factors that contribute to confident communication and guide you through how to use each aspect to your advantage.
Do you want to take your communication to the next level? Give us a call and see how Corporate Speech Solutions can improve your professional life! Call us at 212-308-7725 or send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more. I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you might have!
© 2017, Corporate Speech Solutions of New York City and Long Island – All Rights Reserved