As the President and Founder of Corporate Speech Solutions, I am constantly working to find ways to improve the work we do and help you “Say it better.” A big part of that involves knowing exactly how communication affects success in the workplace and keeping up to date on the public’s perspective on professional communication. To help meet that goal, each year we release a survey on communication: how it affects your business, your relationships with others, and how it can impact your future as a professional. Take a look at what we found in this year’s survey!
- How well do your coworkers and clients really understand your speech?
- When speaking with someone with an accent that they find difficult to understand, over half of respondents said they never or seldom let them know they’re having trouble understanding them.
- You might be losing business because of unclear speech!
- When asked what they would do if they had trouble understanding the speaker at a business presentation, the majority of respondents said that they would simply take their business elsewhere.
- What are the biggest communication hurdles people report in the workplace?
- Nearly half of our respondents reported that people who seem to talk and talk but never get to the point are their biggest communication pet peeve. Close behind were unclear speech and people who speak too quickly. How many of these communication sins are you guilty of?
- Communication skills are critical in climbing the professional ladder.
- Unsurprisingly, communication skills play a big role in career advancement: 85% of our respondents reported that communication skills were essential or very important in the hiring and promotion process in their workplace.
- Want to expand your customer base and build stronger relationships with colleagues and clients? Communication is key!
- When asked how important communication skills are in building professional relationships, a whopping 97% of respondents said either very important or essential!
If you have questions or are interested in improving your communication skills, give me a call at 212-308-7725 or send me an e-mail at email@example.com. I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you might have!
© 2015, Corporate Speech Solutions of New York City and Long Island – All Rights Reserved